In accordance with section 46 of the Universities Act, the Student Union of the University of Eastern Finland is a student union, which has a statutory duty to nominate student representatives to the administrative bodies of the university referred to in Chapter 3 of the Universities Act.
The Student Union of the University of Eastern Finland calls for one (1) student deputy member into the Faculty Council of the Faculty of Science and Forestry to fill an opened position of a student representative for the term of office ending on the 31st of December 2019.
In accordance with section 27 of the Universities Act, Faculty Council is a multi-member administrative body of a unit operating under University. Faculty’s professors, teaching and research staff, other staff and students are represented in a Faculty Council.
Tasks of a Faculty Council have been defined in section 9 of the University Regulations of the University of Eastern Finland. Tasks of a Faculty Council are:
1. to discuss and issue a statement on the faculty’s strategy and budget;
2. to discuss and issue a statement on the internal structure of the faculty, in so far as
decided by the Rector;
3. to decide, within the scope of the faculty’s educational responsibility, on the launch
of a new major subject and shutting down of an existing one;
4. to decide the faculty’s curricula, degree requirements and student admission criteria,
unless otherwise stipulated in these University Regulations;
5. to grade doctoral dissertations;
6. to discuss proposals on the scope of duties and the definition of tasks of
7. to discuss proposals on the scope of duties and the definition of tasks relating to the
faculty’ permanent teaching and research positions that comply with the four-stage
career model and Tenure Track positions;
8. to decide on the award of the title of docent;
9. to confer an honorary doctorate.
Person having a right to complete Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, or licentiate or doctoral degree in the University of Eastern Finland is qualified to apply for a position of Faculty Council’s student deputy member. A person being in over 50 % employment relationship with the University is not qualified to apply for the organ as a student.
Student member is expected to take care of the matters eagerly, bring the students’ point of view visible in decision-making concerning the students and be properly familiarised with the matters being decided on.
Applications with justifications shall be submitted electronically into the following address: https://goo.gl/forms/FPPsMlxdJpVA6G2u1
by Wednesday the 11th of April 2018 at 12.00 (noon).
Student deputy representative will be elected by the Executive Board of the Student Union.
Additional information: Mikko Aaltonen, the Student Union of the University of Eastern Finland, Specialist in Educational and Social Politics Affairs, tel. 044 576 8414, firstname.lastname@example.org